Sunday, February 22, 2009

A melanchonly post


I just looked at the date I posted my last entry and realised that there had been a big break in our regularly scheduled programming. Very sorry about that. I guess there has been a lot happening and it can sometimes make the passage of time feel as if has passed slower than it really has.

Since my last entry there has certainly been a hell of a lot going on back there. I got a call in the morning of the 7th of Feb from my Dad. He lives out in Long Gully, near Bendigo, and told me with what I thought was a remarkable amount of restraint that they'd had a bit of an eventful day out that way. It was the cat that had alerted him to the approaching fires initially as he'd been inside with the aircon on and the curtains closed to escape the heat. Mercifully, he, the cat and the house were all ok but as it quickly emerged, others weren't so lucky. The next week was spent either talking to people back home about the fires, talking to people here about the fires or trying to get some clear information about them from news sources back home. I thought about whether or not I should make a comment about them to be honest. It feels strange being here and so far away with all that happening. Even if I was there, what is it that you can really say when something on this scale occurs. Nothing, nothing that hasn't either already been said or would ring hollow with the telling.
But not acknowledging the fires have happened and the toll they've exacted seemed a little crass and in a way naïve. So to all you reading back home, this is just to say I've been thinking about you. I know by now that physically you are all ok and I'm glad for that. I know as well that you're all rallying around and contributing in whatever ways you can to try and ease the burden now experienced by those who have been directly affected by these fires and for that I'm proud of you.
The demonstrations of the best in peoples characters might be the only good to come of this.
All that I can send you now is love, and the continued hope that every one stays safe. Take care xxx

No comments: