Thursday, December 4, 2008

Frankly my dear I dont give a dhirum



Once when I was younger and still living in Elwood, I was standing on Acland St waiting for the 96 lightrail when I overheard a member of a small group of American tourists exclaim “Look honey a Safeway, lets see if its like back home”. In my head I mocked them of course, stupid Americans going all the way over to the other side of the world to look at supermarkets but today I kinda did the same thing.
Khalidia Mall is right near Bec and Ryan's villa so today Bec and I braved crossing the road and wandered down there to have lunch and exchange some cash. The crossing the road is no mean feat either, I think I've mentioned previously how many accidents I've seen since being here, I felt somewhat adventurous crossing the road truth be told. I needed to exchange some pounds for Dhirum and there's a fair few places in the mall that do this, I had the misfortune of standing behind a guy who had decided to cash in what looked like the Vatican's riches but eventually I got my cash, the exchange rate is roughly half back to Australian dollars and roughly five times to pounds so 100 pounds yielded me about 530 dhirum. Cost of living wise things seem to be priced either the same as Australia or in some cases a little more. It seems to be kind of random really, some things I've looked at like a Garmin Nuvi GPS system cost about 5 times what it does in oz but some of the clothing here was really quite cheap. We went to McDonald's for lunch which is not something I generally do but it was cheap so why not. Had me a McRoyale with cheese in one of the old fashioned non biodegradable destroy the universe containers, took you a picture I did. Felt all pulp fiction about it actually. McRoyale with cheese value meal 19 Dhirum, destroying the universe priceless. We browsed through Lulu which is this huge supermarket, upstairs is the department store and downstairs are the groceries, being where it is there's all kinds of stuff to be had at the supermarket, beef from Brazil, baby pineapples from Spain and lamb from Australia. It would appear that they send all the best stuff away because I had some Australian beef last night and it was definitely better than what you can buy in the supermarket at home. I am unashamedly a sucker for a novelty candy and wandering through the expansive sweet aisle I found Cheebies, the fairy floss that turns into a gum, it might end up giving me testicles but gee its fun. Because I am a lover of the kitsch I took a picture of my McRoyale with cheese as well as Bec's Fillet o Fish, you also get a picture of the mosque near us that broadcasts the calls to prayer 5 times a day and Cheebies the magic candy, fun, fun, fun xxxx


No comments: