Saturday, December 6, 2008

How far will a mango?


There are days when you brunch at luxury hotels and watch people ski in shopping malls and there are days when you just need to chill out and play scene it, on those days you blog about mangoes.


It was a big day yesterday, a day of wonder and adrenaline and I am feeling it today I can tell you. Happily we've taken it easy, watched a cheesy movie, played scene it (even thinking made me tired) and had a brief trip to Spinney's. Spinney's is one of the local supermarkets here, its popular with the expats seemingly and it feels a lot like going to sainsbury's really, much of the same kinds of stuff, fairy liquid, Cadbury's cake selections, Thornton's chocolates or maybe that's just the stuff that I noticed. As the UAE is a Muslim country, the sale and consumption of Pork is controlled and Spinney's caters to this for all the foreigners who want to by pork or pork related products. Anything that is controlled, in my eyes at least, develops a sense of exotic allure, the one sure way to make me want something is to forbid it and suddenly after my trip to Spinney's pork seems that much more attractive. They have this forbidden section at the back of the supermarket behind the cleaning products to remind you that you're a dirty, dirty bird. There's a beaded curtain and the waft of salami and as you part that forbidden curtain and take steps towards damnation you're greeted by a 6 foot pig in suspenders urging you to “Eat me, go on eat me”. Behind that is an Alladin's cave of gastronomic desire, pop tarts, spam and these German sausage things in a jar called knackers. I wanted to buy some for fun but Bec said no. I still haven't worked out why the pop tarts are there though, there were Quakers muesli bars as well which definitely raises some questions.
We scurried out of there like old men in raincoats and scattered to the four corners of Spinney's to try and reclaim our dignity. Me I headed to the fruit and vegi section, nothing lewd there. There have been points in my life at which my entire source of happiness has hinged on the availability of mangoes, the sky maybe falling, I could be homeless, destitute and without friend or favour to protect me from the harsh hand of fate but to see the gentle peachy blush on the cheek of a mango restores my faith in the universe. Where there is mangoes, hope. I judge the economy based on the price of mangoes, sure you need to factor in seasonal availability but generally it is a sound barometer of the fortunes of the world. 1 big juicy mango, 12 dhirums which is about 5 bucks. A little high which reflects the current economic crisis but still achievable to the common man. And what price the simple joy of a mango, its cheery glow and vitamin c to ward off scurvy. And so I have taken you a picture, may it bring joy to your heart as it has done mine. xxxx
NB: Spinney's forbidden section may or may not contain beaded curtains and large scantily clad talking pigs.

No comments: